Steve Sorotzkin, of counsel with Neuberger, Quinn, Gielen, Rubin & Gibber, P.A. since 2017, is based in London, United Kingdom and concentrates his practice on advising clients on international tax and estate planning.
- University of Baltimore School of Law (J.D., Cum Laude)
- Georgetown University Law Center (LL.M., Taxation)
- ExCapsa International Tax Consulting Group LLP, London, UK
Managing Partner, 2015- Present
- Hassans, International Law firm, Gibraltar
Of Counsel, 2008 - 2015
- PricewaterhouseCoopers, Investment Management Group London, UK
Senior Manager, 2004 – 2008 (Manager and Senior Manager since July 2006)
- Wolfgang Goethe University, ILF, Frankfurt, Germany
Adjunct Professor, 2003 – Present
- PricewaterhouseCoopers, US Tax Desk, Berlin, Germany
Manager, 2002 –2004
- Ernst & Young, LLP, Financial Services Industries Tax Consulting Group, New York USA
Senior Tax Consultant, 2000 – 2001
- The Law Offices of Levin and Gann, P.A., Baltimore, Maryland USA
Corporate and Tax Associate, 1999 – 2000
- The Honorable Robert M. Bell, Chief Judge, Court of Appeals of Maryland USA
Law Clerk, 1998 - 1999
- Advising on structuring an acquisition of a shopping center in New Jersey, USA by UK and Israeli investors.
- Advising Israeli and US investors on structuring a €150 million hotel and office development project in Paris, France.
- Advising a partnership of UK and Swiss investors on the US tax implications of a $230 million acquisition of a US hotel.
- Advising an Israeli Insurance Company on structuring a JV with a US based private equity fund, on issues of acquiring and financing German residential portfolios.
- Structuring an acquisition of a €100 million residential portfolio located in Denmark, by way of a share deal by a consortium comprised of an American listed financial services company, an AIFIM regulated property fund, and several UK family offices.
- Advising a UK family office on the acquisition of a student housing project in Denmark.
- Advising an Israeli family office on structuring a CAD 180 million real estate financing transaction in Canada.
- Coordinating the work of tax advisors from four jurisdictions, on structuring the carve-out of a large Swiss real estate portfolio worth CHF 300 million, from a takeover by lenders, and the tax–free transfer thereof into a tax efficient holding structure.
- Structuring a JV between Mexican and Swiss partners to invest in German real estate.
High Net Worth Individuals, International Estate & Pre-Immigration Planning
- Estate planning for a UK based person with a global real estate portfolio involving planning inter-generational transfers to UK, US and Israeli family members.
- Advising a UK / US based family on a tax efficient restructuring and division of a global real estate portfolio between beneficiaries of an estate.
- Advising an offshore trust on the restructuring of a large property portfolio based in the USA, Switzerland, Netherlands and the UK, with the aim of enabling tax efficient distributions to beneficiaries in the UK, Israel and the USA.
- Advising a family on the US and Israeli tax implications of a divorce settlement.
- Pre-US migration planning for a Monaco based family owning a diverse investment portfolio in the property, telecommunication and pharmaceutical sectors. Work involved structuring complex insurance products and the set-up of several foreign and US trusts to mitigate US estate taxes and enable tax efficient distributions to US family members.
- Advising a UK based family office on the restructuring of its £170 million UK and US property portfolio, with the aim of optimizing post tax returns to UK, Israeli and USA family members.
- Advising a family holding significant global real estate and hotel portfolio and on the tax implications [multiple jurisdictions] of a restructuring in the context of a divorce settlement.
- Pre-immigration planning for a UK investment banker relocating to the USA.
- Advising on the estate planning of a Swiss high net worth individual, with family members residing in 5 jurisdictions including the USA, owning a global hotel and construction business and a portfolio of active and passive real estate investments in Europe and in the USA.
- Structuring a gift of shares, valued at USD 10 million, in a global tourism company from the family senior generation to three family members located in the US and the UK.
- Pre-US migration planning for a UK based family owning a significant Pan European property portfolio. Work involved stepping up the basis of underlying assets, and the set-up of several foreign and US trusts to enable tax efficient distributions to US and UK family members.
- Pre-immigration advice to an Israeli individual relocating to the UK.
- Advising a UK based family on pre-US immigration tax planning. Work involved re-structuring a USD 2 billion active business in the tourism sector based in 6 jurisdictions, restructuring of existing family trusts, and the set-up of new US and foreign family trusts.
- Advising numerous European based clients on pre-immigration issues prior to relocating to Israel.
- Pre-immigration planning for a Greek family relocating to the USA. Work involved a multi–jurisdictional restructuring of a diverse portfolio with significant holdings in the energy, food and shipping sectors.
International Tax Structuring
- Structuring an investment by a US partnership into an Israeli winery.
- Advising a large US private equity firm on restructuring its loan portfolio secured by Belgian assets.
- Advising South American investors on setting up a holding structure for acquiring a USD 200 million investment in Israel.
- Advising a US entrepreneur on the set up of a structure holding shares in UK and Jersey companies providing data mining services. Work involved US estate planning, CFC planning, IP transfers, and negotiating tax provisions with offshore JV partners.