Steve Sorotzkin, of counsel with Neuberger, Quinn, Gielen, Rubin & Gibber, P.A. since 2017, is based in London, United Kingdom and concentrates his practice on advising clients on international tax and estate planning.
For the past 20 years, Steve has advised private equity funds, institutional investors, high net worth individuals, and family offices on the structuring, set up, and ongoing maintenance of complex international holding and financing structures, investment funds, trusts, and underlying corporate holding structures.
In recent years, Steve, as managing partner of ExCapsa International Tax Consulting Group, has advised many high-net-worth individuals and family offices on international tax estate planning and on pre-migration planning. Steve also serves as regular international tax counsel to several family offices coordinating all tax aspects of acquisitions and financing, planning distributions, as well as ongoing tax compliance.
In addition, through his London-based consulting firm, Steve devotes a significant part of his practice to coordinating and managing large international tax planning projects involving professional advisors from multiple jurisdictions.
- University of Baltimore School of Law (J.D., Cum Laude)
- Georgetown University Law Center (LL.M., Taxation)
- ExCapsa International Tax Consulting Group LLP, London, UK
Managing Partner, 2015- Present
- Hassans, International Law firm, Gibraltar
Of Counsel, 2008 - 2015
- PricewaterhouseCoopers, Investment Management Group London, UK
Senior Manager, 2004 – 2008 (Manager and Senior Manager since July 2006)
- Wolfgang Goethe University, ILF, Frankfurt, Germany
Adjunct Professor, 2003 – Present
- PricewaterhouseCoopers, US Tax Desk, Berlin, Germany
Manager, 2002 –2004
- Ernst & Young, LLP, Financial Services Industries Tax Consulting Group, New York USA
Senior Tax Consultant, 2000 – 2001
- The Law Offices of Levin and Gann, P.A., Baltimore, Maryland USA
Corporate and Tax Associate, 1999 – 2000
- The Honorable Robert M. Bell, Chief Judge, Court of Appeals of Maryland USA
Law Clerk, 1998 - 1999
- Advising on structuring an acquisition of a shopping center in New Jersey, USA by UK and Israeli investors.
- Advising Israeli and US investors on structuring a €150 million hotel and office development project in Paris, France.
- Advising a partnership of UK and Swiss investors on the US tax implications of a $230 million acquisition of a US hotel.
- Advising an Israeli Insurance Company on structuring a JV with a US based private equity fund, on issues of acquiring and financing German residential portfolios.
- Structuring an acquisition of a €100 million residential portfolio located in Denmark, by way of a share deal by a consortium comprised of an American listed financial services company, an AIFIM regulated property fund, and several UK family offices.
- Advising a UK family office on the acquisition of a student housing project in Denmark.
- Advising an Israeli family office on structuring a CAD 180 million real estate financing transaction in Canada.
- Coordinating the work of tax advisors from four jurisdictions, on structuring the carve-out of a large Swiss real estate portfolio worth CHF 300 million, from a takeover by lenders, and the tax–free transfer thereof into a tax efficient holding structure.
- Structuring a JV between Mexican and Swiss partners to invest in German real estate.
High Net Worth Individuals, International Estate & Pre-Immigration Planning
- Estate planning for a UK based person with a global real estate portfolio involving planning inter-generational transfers to UK, US and Israeli family members.
- Advising a UK / US based family on a tax efficient restructuring and division of a global real estate portfolio between beneficiaries of an estate.
- Advising an offshore trust on the restructuring of a large property portfolio based in the USA, Switzerland, Netherlands and the UK, with the aim of enabling tax efficient distributions to beneficiaries in the UK, Israel and the USA.
- Advising a family on the US and Israeli tax implications of a divorce settlement.
- Pre-US migration planning for a Monaco based family owning a diverse investment portfolio in the property, telecommunication and pharmaceutical sectors. Work involved structuring complex insurance products and the set-up of several foreign and US trusts to mitigate US estate taxes and enable tax efficient distributions to US family members.
- Advising a UK based family office on the restructuring of its £170 million UK and US property portfolio, with the aim of optimizing post tax returns to UK, Israeli and USA family members.
- Advising a family holding significant global real estate and hotel portfolio and on the tax implications [multiple jurisdictions] of a restructuring in the context of a divorce settlement.
- Pre-immigration planning for a UK investment banker relocating to the USA.
- Advising on the estate planning of a Swiss high net worth individual, with family members residing in 5 jurisdictions including the USA, owning a global hotel and construction business and a portfolio of active and passive real estate investments in Europe and in the USA.
- Structuring a gift of shares, valued at USD 10 million, in a global tourism company from the family senior generation to three family members located in the US and the UK.
- Pre-US migration planning for a UK based family owning a significant Pan European property portfolio. Work involved stepping up the basis of underlying assets, and the set-up of several foreign and US trusts to enable tax efficient distributions to US and UK family members.
- Pre-immigration advice to an Israeli individual relocating to the UK.
- Advising a UK based family on pre-US immigration tax planning. Work involved re-structuring a USD 2 billion active business in the tourism sector based in 6 jurisdictions, restructuring of existing family trusts, and the set-up of new US and foreign family trusts.
- Advising numerous European based clients on pre-immigration issues prior to relocating to Israel.
- Pre-immigration planning for a Greek family relocating to the USA. Work involved a multi–jurisdictional restructuring of a diverse portfolio with significant holdings in the energy, food and shipping sectors.
International Tax Structuring
- Structuring an investment by a US partnership into an Israeli winery.
- Advising a large US private equity firm on restructuring its loan portfolio secured by Belgian assets.
- Advising South American investors on setting up a holding structure for acquiring a USD 200 million investment in Israel.
- Advising a US entrepreneur on the set up of a structure holding shares in UK and Jersey companies providing data mining services. Work involved US estate planning, CFC planning, IP transfers, and negotiating tax provisions with offshore JV partners.